Monday, May 14, 2007

MESSAGE #42 - DO NOT HOLD YOUR NOSE!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."
-- Helen Keller (1880-1968), educator and writer

For the last few months, I’ve been eagerly waiting for that one magic phone call where I hear, “Dr. Gilbert, we want you to be our commencement speaker this year.”

Well, it hasn’t happened yet, so it probably won’t happen this year. But, just in case a Nobel Prize-winning scientist, or an influential politician, or a famous writer has to cancel his or her commencement address at the last moment -- I want the world to know that I’m ready!!!

And I’ll travel. I’ll go to that small college in New England or to that large midwestern university. I live near the Parkway, so I could even be a last-minute fill-in at a Bergen County high school.

But, in the unfortunate event I never actually deliver my 2007 commencement address, I hope you will at least read it. Here it is:

A commencement address gives the speaker a chance to proclaim universal truths. Today, I would like to share with you, the members of the Class of 2007, one of these truths -- the ultimate secret of success. What is the ultimate secret of success in business, in sales, in school, in sports, in relationships, in life, in everything?

Here’s the answer: DO NOT HOLD YOUR NOSE!

Let me explain . . .

It’s the middle of the summer and you’re standing on the high-diving board at your community pool. Everyone is looking up at you. You’ve never done this before and you’re scared to death. What are you going to do?

Are you very safely and cautiously going to tiptoe to the end of the board, hold your nose, and jump in feet first? Or, with everyone watching you, are you going to go for that big, spectacular swan dive and risk an embarrassing, painful belly flop?

You know the answer: DO NOT HOLD YOUR NOSE! Go for that spectacular swan dive.

Here’s the ultimate question that will impact every aspect of your life: Are you going to hold back or are you going to go all out? Ever notice how all the movie heroes and heroines go all out? If you want to be the hero or heroine of your own life -- go all out.

When you keep holding your nose and jumping in feet first, you’re training yourself to play it safe and you’ll end up living a life of mediocrity. No one shocks the world by holding back and playing it safe. Do you think anyone ever got into the history books by playing it safe and holding back? Of course not! So if you want your life to be a daring adventure -- go all out!

It’s much better to go all out and fail spectacularly than cautiously hold back and play it safe. At the end of your life are you going to say to yourself, “I’m glad I did” or “I wish I had”? If you don’t attempt to swan dive off that high-diving board at least once, you’re going to have regrets.

DO NOT HOLD YOUR NOSE.

Thank you and congratulations to the Class of 2007!!!


* * * * * * * * * * *

TODAY ON SUCCESS HOTLINE: WHY IT’S GREAT TO BE LAZY!

Go all out,


Rob Gilbert