Saturday, September 29, 2007

MESSAGE #180 - A SPECIAL STORY

How far is far, how high is high?
We’ll never know until we try.

- from a song from the California Special Olympics

I was the editor of Bits & Pieces magazine from 1996 to 2001.

Bits & Pieces was a motivational magazine that published motivational quotes and inspirational stories. Thousands of them.

In all the years I edited B&P, the following story got the greatest reader response.

Hundreds of people contacted me wanting to know whether this story was true.

When readers asked me that, I’d always answer that I didn’t know if it happened, but I do know that it’s always happening.

I hope you love this story like our Bits & Pieces readers did.

At a Special Olympics track meet, a young girl had just won the 50-yard dash and was jumping up and down all excited.

She yelled out to her parents, “Look, Mom and Dad, I won.”

Her parents instantly burst into tears.

At the awards ceremony the young girl proudly stood there as a medal was placed around her neck.

Then she ran over to her parents, who were crying now even more than before.

The three of them hugged . . . as the parents kept crying.

A Special Olympics official who had watched the whole scene became concerned and went over to the parents and said, “Excuse me, is there anything wrong?”

Through her tears, the mother said, “No, nothing’s wrong. Everything’s right . . . . We just heard our daughter speak for the first time.”