Thursday, September 6, 2007

MESSAGE #157 - WANT TO BE MORE CREATIVE?

If you want to be more creative, the first thing you need to know is the formula for creativity. Here it is. . .

C = M.S.U.

Creativity = Making Stuff Up

That’s it! You just make stuff up . . . right out of thin air.

Want an example?

How J. K. Rowling conceived Harry Potter

My boyfriend was moving to Manchester and wanted me to move, too.

It was during the train journey back from Manchester to London, after a weekend looking for a flat, that Harry Potter made his appearance.

I have never felt such a huge rush of excitement.

I knew immediately that this was going to be such fun to write. . . . I didn’t know then that it was going to be a book for childrenI just knew that I had this boy, Harry.

During that journey I also discovered Ron, Nearly Headless Nick, Hagrid, and Peeves. But with the idea of my life careering round my head, I didn’t have a pen that worked!

And I never went anywhere without a pen and a notebook.

So, rather than trying to write it, I had to think it. And I think that was a very good thing.

I was besieged by a mass of detail and if it didn’t survive that journey, it probably wasn’t worth remembering.

-- Joanne Kathleen (J.K.) Rowling

Source: Success edited by J. Pincott, published by Random House Reference

One more thing . . . NO ONE HAS MORE CREATIVE POTENTIAL THAN YOU BECAUSE NO ONE HAS MORE THIN AIR THAN YOU!

Absolutely, positively, guaranteed!

Rob Gilbert