Thursday, June 28, 2007

MESSAGE #87 - THIS WORKS (PART 3)

Let’s review.

Who keeps you from getting anything you want? YOU DO. You stand in your own way. That’s the bad news. The good news is that you can also get out of your own way.

What specifically stops you? YOUR FEELINGS.

If the problem is feelings, what is the solution? ACTION.

You can act yourself into a different way of feeling.

Bored? Act interested.

Tired? Act energized.

Unmotivated? Act motivated.

Timid and shy? Act outgoing.

The problem is your feelings.

The solution is your actions.

Sometimes you know exactly what to do but you don’t do it.

The great motivational speaker Ed Agresta (call his Power Thoughts Hotline at 609-660-8156 and press 2) said it best:

“Sometimes you have to force yourself to behave differently than you feel.”

Force yourself to do what you have to do even though you don’t feel like doing it.

Is this easy to do?

No.

Is it possible to do?

Yes.

Force yourself to behave differently than you feel.

Just because you’re hungry doesn’t mean you have to eat.

Just because you’re tired doesn’t mean you have to quit.

Just because you’re discouraged doesn’t mean you have to act discouraged.

Force yourself to do it until you feel like doing it.

Just remember: A.C.E. -- Action Changes Everything.

One last thing . . . what if nothing you have read so far seems to work?

What if you still have these negative feelings and action doesn’t make those feelings go away or become more positive?

Let me tell you a story . . .

Harvard University professor John Kenneth Galbreath was one of the most famous economists of all time. He also published an incredible numbers of books and articles. Shortly before Professor Galbreath died, a journalist asked him what he had learned from a lifetime of writing. The professor responded, “The one most important thing I learned was that the quality of writing I did on the days I didn’t feel like it was just as good as the quality of the writing I did on the days I did feel like it!”

Just because you feel terrible doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to perform terribly.

Michael Jordan played one of the greatest games of his career when he had a severe case of the flu. In a crucial playoff game against Utah, Jordan scored 38 points in a winning effort. Here’s what Jordan said after the game, “I almost played myself into passing out. I came in and I was almost dehydrated and it was just to win a basketball game. I couldn’t breathe. My energy level was really low. My mouth was really dry. They started giving me Gatorade and I thought about I.V.”

That night in 1997, Michael Jordan felt worse than terrible, but he played better than great.

The next time you can’t act yourself into a better way of feeling, just remember the economics professor and the basketball superstar!

THE END