Thursday, June 21, 2007

MESSAGE #80 - Are you an ACTOR or a REACTOR? Are you a THERMOSTAT or a THERMOMETER?

Just in case you’ve been planning to get me a present – let me make it easy for you!

The one greatest present you can give me is A STORY.

If you really want to make me really happy – make it a really GREAT STORY.

I won’t make it difficult for you . . . you can e-mail me the story to sendmeastory@aol.com.

I’ll make it even easier. Just click here and leave me the story.

My good friend Professor Tete Tetens gave me a present the other day – A GREAT PRESENT.

This is A GREAT STORY . . .

The fully human person is an Actor, not a Reactor.

The syndicated columnist Sydney Harris tells the story of accompanying his friend to a newsstand.

The friend greeted the newsman very courteously, but in return received gruff and discourteous service.

Accepting the newspaper which was rudely shoved in his direction, the friend of Harris politely smiled and wished the newsman a nice weekend.

As the two friends walked down the street, the columnist asked:

“Does he always treat you so rudely?”

“Yes, unfortunately he does.”

“And you are always so polite and friendly to him?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Why are you so nice to him when he is so unfriendly to you?”

“Because I don’t want him to decide how I’m going to act.”

-- from Why Am I Afraid to Tell You Who I Am by John Powell


Thanks, Tete!

Rob Gilbert