Saturday, June 9, 2007

MESSAGE #68 - IT'S YOU AND ME AGAINST THE WORLD!

Last week, Ed Agresta gave a guest lecture in my graduate applied sport psychology class at Montclair State University. Right after Ed started speaking, I left the classroom to go back to my office to pick up some markers for the board.

Outside the classroom where I was teaching are several sofas and lounge chairs. Sprawled on one of them was a young man, probably a high school student. I assumed he was waiting for his mom or dad who was taking a graduate class.

I approached the young man and tried to “recruit” him to come hear Ed.

I enthusiastically gushed, “Inside this classroom is one of the very best motivational speakers in the whole country. Why don’t you come and listen to him?”

He looked up at me and politely said, “Oh thanks, but I don’t need that kind of thing.”

* * * * * * * * *

This type of thing happens to me all the time.

I get rejected.

Fortunately, I’m used to it.

“Why don’t you call my Success Hotline?”

“Why don’t you read my blog?”

“This book will really help you.”

Usually the responses aren’t quite as polite as the one I got from this young man.

People look at me like I am nuts!

I know people have a lot to do. They have families and jobs and houses. They have the usual “places to go, things to do, people to see” routine. Everyone is just sooooooo busy . . . everyone has a full plate.

But there’s always room left for motivation and inspiration.

Would Ed’s presentation have changed that young man’s life?

Probably not.

But I know that Ed would have said some things that that young man would probably never forget.

Right now I know I’m preaching to the choir -- you already get it! You know what I’m talking about.

You also probably “recruit” people too for classes and courses and seminars, etc. . . .

You probably try to give away books too.

But, like me, you’ve been rejected too.

There’s one thing I know for sure: ALL OF US NEED “THAT KIND OF THING.”

All of us need to be motivated and inspired. No one is ever accused of being too motivated or inspired.

All of us can use more.

And if you’ve never heard the great Ed Agresta speak, call his Power Thoughts Hotline right now at (609) 660-8156 and then press 2.

Thanks, Ed.

Rob Gilbert