Saturday, December 29, 2007

MESSAGE #270 - MY GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENT IN 2007

My story begins last August.

That’s when I went to a magic show in Atlantic City, NJ featuring the incredible Jeff McBride.

Half-way through the show, McBride took out that week’s issue of Time magazine, tore out the pages, and passed them out to the audience.

He then asked the audience members to yell out their page numbers and McBride told them what was on their pages in great detail.

I WAS TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY!

On the ride home, I made a decision: I was going to memorize an issue of Time for my students and do “a Jeff McBride” in my first classes of the new semester.

So, I called a friend who’s a memory expert, I bought a memory book, and I got to work.

It took me about 20 hours to memorize the entire issue.

On the first meeting of each of my classes, I performed the Time magazine memory demonstration.

I was nervous, but I did it.

Did I do as well as Jeff McBride? Of course not!

But I did it fairly well.

Many of my students were TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY!

Then I told my students that any of them could do what I just did. It wasn’t difficult -- just time-consuming.

But I didn’t want them to memorize Time magazine -- I just wanted them to remember this lesson:

COLLEGE IS NOT DIFFICULT . . .
IT’S JUST TIME CONSUMING!

THERE ARE NO DIFFICULT COURSES . . .
JUST TIME-CONSUMING COURSES!

If my students remember that, then my 20 hours were worth it!

WHAT WAS YOUR GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENT IN 2007?

Click here to share your story . . .