Tuesday, December 11, 2007

MESSAGE #252 - It’s going to be ok – trust me

This is a sad time of year on college campuses.

I see it in the eyes of many students.

Final exams.

A lot of students feel defeated.

Too much work to do and not enough time left to do it.

Overwhelmed.

They’re going to get bad grades this semester and they know it.

But getting bad grades isn’t a crime.

The explanation you give yourself may be.

Let me explain . . .

Can you say, “I AM LAZY” and really mean it?

Most people can’t.

They’d rather say demeaning things to themselves like

“I’m dumb” or

“I’m stupid” or

“I’m not talented.”

This is the crime.

Why would you ever talk to yourself like that?

Why would you ever lie to yourself like that?

It’s OK to be lazy.

“Laziness” is a temporary condition and can be cured almost instantly.

“Dumbness,” “stupidity,” or “lack of talent” last forever. They can’t be cured.

So if you screwed up this semester – it’s because you’ve been lazy.

Own it.

It’s OK.

It’s all right to be lazy.

You can fix it.

You’re not broken.

I’ve been there – trust me,

Rob Gilbert