Sunday, December 9, 2007

MESSAGE #250 - SIGNIFICANCE TRUMPS SUCCESS EVERY SINGLE TIME!

What do you want people to say about you when you’re gone?

The great Lou Holtz (see Message #249) knows exactly how he wants to be remembered.

As a matter of fact, these are the last words in his most recent book, Wins, Losses, and Lessons ...

I don’t think about the wins and losses these days, so I hope no one remembers them when they think of me when I’m gone.

I want the great games to be remembered for the players who played in them, not for the short, skinny man who paced the sidelines.

I don’t want to be known for the successes I had as a coach, or as a public speaker because success dies.

Significance – helping others to better their lives through word and deed -- lasts forever.

The only thing I hope is that when I die, someone says, “That Lou Holtz was significant to a lot of people.”

It’s the best thing that can be said about a person.

I hope it will be said of me.

* * * * * * *

In other words: It’s about others.

Thanks for reading,

Rob Gilbert

P.S. Give me a call at Success Hotline (973.743.4690).