Friday, August 31, 2007

MESSAGE #151- THIS IS A VERY SAD STORY

WARNING: DON’T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!

Bill Bradley was passionate about basketball and he became an All American for Princeton University and an All Pro for the New York Knicks.

Bill Bradley was passionate about politics and became a United States Senator from the State of New Jersey.

Bill Bradley understands the relationship between passion and excellence.

From the book Values of the Game by Bill Bradley . . .

I’ve told the story a thousand times about the night in the 1970s at a post-game reception in Chicago when a man approached me and asked, “Do you really like to play basketball?”

“Yeah, more than anything else I could be doing now,” I replied.

“That’s great. You know, I once played the trumpet,” he said. “I think I know what you feel. I played in a little band. We were good. We’d play on weekends at colleges. In my last year, we had an offer to tour and make records. Everyone wanted to except me.”

“Why didn’t you?”

“My father thought it wasn’t secure enough. Well, I didn’t know,” he said. “I guess I agreed. The life is so transient. You’re always on the road. No sureness that you’ll get your next job. It just doesn’t fit into a life plan. So I went to law school and I quit playing the trumpet, except every once in a while. Now I don’t have time.”

“Do you like the law?”

“It’s okay. But it’s nothing like playing the trumpet.”

* * * * *

SOMETIMES “OKAY” ISN’T OKAY

Give Success Hotline a call at (973) 743-4690,

Rob Gilbert