Wednesday, October 17, 2007

MESSAGE#198 - SPECIAL MESSAGE FOR ALL MY STUDENTS: MESSAGES #197 & #198 ARE ESPECIALLY FOR YOU!

In the book, Robert Schuller’s Life Changers (Wings Books), the great religious leader Reverend Robert Schuller tells of his son Robert’s graduation from college in 1974:

My son . . . graduated from my alma mater, Hope College in Holland, Michigan . . . . The moment he received his B.A. degree was one of the proudest moments in my life. I watched as he received his diploma and moved the tassel on his mortarboard from the left to the right.

After the ceremony we met outside. Beaming with delight, we hugged each other and slapped one another on the back. “You made it!” I exclaimed.

“Yes,” he said, grinning broadly. “I made it. But it was tough.”

“But it was worth it, though, wasn’t it?” I asked.

“It was worth it,” he repeated. “But at times I wondered. It was quite a hassle.”

As he spoke those words, my eyes were drawn to the tassel flowing from his cap. Touching it lightly, I said, “The tassel is worth the hassle.”

“You bet,” my son affirmed enthusiastically.

If you make your decisions based upon how comfortable, easy, convenient, or painless your choices are, then don’t ever expect great rewards. Hassle-free living is tassel-free living. You can be sure that the tassel is in proportion to the hassle.

Pay a big price and you can expect a good return!

P.S. In other words, “No guts, no glory.”