Sunday, July 22, 2007

MESSAGE #111 - IN MEMORY OF MICHAEL DESISTO

I first heard about Michael DeSisto when the late-night talk-show host Joey Reynolds would sing his praises. Reynolds had a child who attended the DeSisto School in Stockbridge, Massachusetts.

Michael DeSisto was a genius in working with “troubled” adolescents and his school was reported to be remarkable.

I got further intrigued when I discovered that one of my students at Montclair State had attended the DeSisto School. I loved her stories about the place.

Unfortunately, Michael DeSisto died in November 1, 2003 and the school closed in 2004.

My student, knowing of my interest in her school, was kind enough to give me a card that was given out at the funeral.

On one side on the card is a picture of a butterfly and . . .

A. Michael DeSisto

May 29, 1939

November 1, 2003

On the other side . . .

The butterfly is the most ‘human’ of all insects,
for the pain of its metamorphosis most closely
resembles the pain experienced in human growth.
If we know that the beautiful butterfly inside the cocoon
is fighting to get out and we love it and help it by doing
for it, we kill it. The struggle that it undergoes is what
gives it the strength to live. Children also, if we really
love them, must be allowed to struggle, for only
through the struggle of adolescence can they acquire
the security of adulthood. At DeSisto, loving is not ‘doing for,’
but ‘sharing with.’

Thank you, Michael...


Rob Gilbert